Hi everybody,

as I've recently started contributing to Flink, I'd like to ask you a few
tips on how you normally run the tests to ensure that everything runs
smoothly before pushing the code to CI.

First, I'd like to point out two issues in particular I had:

   1. some test suites (KMeansWithBroadcastSetITCase.java,
   ScalaCsvReaderWithPOJOITCase.scala and CsvReaderITCase.java) kept failing
   because the expected results (string literals) were matched against an
   object rendered as a string using the String.format method, a method whose
   result depends on the default Locale; as my Locale (Italian) renders
   doubles with a comma instead of a dot as the decimal separator, the
   representation of doubles diverged from the expected one, thus making my
   tests fail; I've solved it locally by explicitly using the US locale for
   those calls — I'm thinking about opening an issue and submitting my
   solution as a PR;
   2. I had another problem with WebFrontendITCase.java: the test suite
   starts a mini cluster with the web server on port 8081; not knowing this
   and (unknowingly) having another process listening on that port, the test
   suite kept failing at initialization (line 59); however, the message
   regarding the port being busy was not displayed, despite being logged at
   ERROR level (WebMonitorUtils.startWebRuntimeMonitor, line 138); what
   configuration file should I edit in order for these issues to come up
   instantly without having to dig into the code to understand what's
   happening?

Apart from these issues in particular, I'd like to ask if you have any
particular routine when it comes to building and testing Flink locally. I'm
not particularly knowledgable regarding Maven, so right now I'm basically
running `mvn [clean] install [-rf :<last-failed-module>]` each time to make
sure I have a fresh build to test. Would this be the right path or is there
a quicker way to have a fresh build and running the tests on them? Feel
free to point me to any relevant documentation, if you wish.

Thank you in advance for any tip. :)

--
BR,
Stefano Baghino