Hi Ken,

regarding the failed tests:
- cascading.JoinFieldedPipesPlatformTest$testJoinMergeGroupBy is expected
to fail due to restrictions in the MR/Tez engines. If I remember correctly,
this is about deadlocks that need to be resolved by splitting a job.
Flink's optimizer detects such situations and places a dam breaker to
resolve such a situation within a single job and is hence able to execute
the job correctly.
- cascading.ComparePlatformsTest$CompareTestCase I think you are right on
this one. When I implemented the runner, I did not find a way to make this
tests pass. It looked like an issue with the test itself as you assumed as
well.

Btw. I ported the runner to Flink 1.0 and bumped the Cascading 3.1
WIP version already, but haven't done an "official" release yet. You find
the code in the flink-1.0 branch [1]. With Flink 1.0, we also extended the
support for outer joins. It might be possible to get rid of some of the
HashJoin restrictions, but I have to take a closer look at how outer hash
joins are done with Cascading MR/Tez.
Anyway, I can do a Cascading-Flink release for Flink 1.0 soon and extend
HashJoin support later.

Best, Fabian

[1] https://github.com/dataartisans/cascading-flink/tree/flink-1.0