Hello,

> Would the best way be to extend the iteration operators to support
> intermediate outputs or revisit the idea of caching intermediate results
> and thus allow efficient for-loop iterations?

Caching intermediate results would also help a lot to projects that
are targeting Flink as a backend, like Emma [1] and SystemML [2]. The
issue here is that these languages allow writing more general
iterations (general control flow (nested loops, ifs in the loop body),
multiple "solution sets", doing something else with the intermediate
results, etc.), that can't be translated to Flink's iteration
constructs. So these systems currently don't have much better options
than just writing intermediate results to files, which is not so nice.

Best,
Gabor

[1]
http://www.user.tu-berlin.de/asteriosk/assets/publications/emma-sigmod2015.pdf