The data exchange mode has been introduced recently as a replacement
for the pipeline break logic, which was buggy. I'm not too familiar
with the optimizer, but I would expect everything that goes back to
the DataExchangeMode to be correct. The rest should be an artifact of
the old pipeline breaker logic and not be used any more. Does this
help in any way?