Hi,
I cleaned up the document a bit and added sections to address comments on
the doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Xp-YBf87vLTduYSivgqWVEMjYUmkA-hyb4muX3KRl08/edit?usp=sharing
(I
also marked proposed features that are already implemented as [done].)

The main thing that remains to be figured out is how we deal with purging,
i.e. whether the trigger can decide to purge a window or whether the
WindowOperator should do this and also what happens when window state is
garbage collected. The original proposal was to reduce the current set of
trigger results from (CONTINUE, FIRE, PURGE, FIRE_AND_PURGE) to (CONTINUE,
FIRE) and have a global flag in the WindowOperator that says whether firing
windows should be purged (DISCARDING) or kept for a bit, until the allowed
lateness expires (ACCUMULATING). Based on comments by Elias I added a
section that sketches an alternative where the triggers are in charge of
purging and also decide what should happen in case of window cleanup.

One thing we should also keep in mind is how we can make the windowing API
easy to use for people that don't need all the bells and whistles of custom
triggers, allowed lateness and so on. This is partially covered by the
proposal to add composite triggers but I feel we can go further there.

In the future, it might be good to to discussions directly on the ML and
then change the document accordingly. This way everyone can follow the
discussion on the ML. I also feel that Google Doc comments often don't give
enough space for expressing more complex opinions.

Cheers,
Aljoscha