The problem with code style when it is not enforced is that it will be a
matter of luck to what parts of files / new files will it be applied. When
the code style is not applied to whole file, it is pretty much useless
anyway. You would need to manually select just the fragments one is
changing. The benefits of having code style and enforcing it I see are:
 - being able to apply autoformatter, which speeds up writing code
 - it would make reviewing PRs easier as e.g. there would be line length
limit applied etc. which will make line breaking more reader friendly.

Though I think if a consensus is not reachable it would be good to once and
forever decide that we don't want a code style and checkstyle.