Very nice discussion! The deadlock issue due to back pressure mechanism is
temporary, which is going to be fixed once Stephan change it to a credit based
approach. So we probably should not base our proposal on that temporary
limitation. Once we have that issue fixed, the operator can choose to not pull
from some input and still not result in deadlock. This approach should in
general be more performant than buffering the main inputs. If we expose such
freedom to the operator (i.e. let operator choose when to pull from an input),
it's also more flexible. For example, the operator can code the logic to decide
when a side input is ready. Another upside of this blocking approach is that we
may need to work on buffering.

Regards,
Xiaowei