Hi all,

I want to revive the discussion about releasing Flink 1.4 [1] and the set
of features to include.

The gist of the previous discussion was that we postponed the feature
freeze for 1.4 in order to include some more features which were being
developed. By now, we have completed a good set of features such as exactly
once Kafka producer, reduced dependency footprint, Hadoop-free Flink and
many bug fixes. I believe that these features will make good release and
users are already waiting for them.

Some of the other features which we wanted to include, mainly Flip-6, to
some extent the network stack enhancements and the state decoupling still
need some more time. Since these features are major changes to Flink's
runtime, it would be in my opinion a good idea to cut a stable release with
the above-mentioned feature set now and give the engine features a bit more
time to ripen and be properly tested.

Therefore, I would actually be in favour of aiming for a quick release
meaning that we now concentrate mainly on fixing bugs and critical issues.
Moreover, I'm optimistic that the delayed features will be completed soon
such that we can deliver them with the next release. What do you think?

[1]
http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Flink-1-4-and-time-based-release-td19331.html

Cheers,
Till