bq. A bot could archive the messages to a web site, or forward to the email
list

I think some formatting / condensing may be needed if communication on
Slack is forwarded to mailing list - since the sentences on Slack may not
be as polished as on the emails.
There is also the mapping between a person's identity on Slack versus on
email.

FYI