I agree that we have other, even more important, problems with reviewing PR and
community, but that shouldn’t block us from trying to clean up things a little
bit and minimise the effort needed for reviewing PRs. Now before
reviewing/picking older PRs I had to ask this “Hey, are you still interested in
merging this?” manually and wait for the response. If it doesn’t come, I have
to remember to go back and close PR, which I of course forget to do. Bah, so
far I did it twice for older PRs. In both cases I didn’t get any response and I
even forgot in which PRs I had asked this question, so now I can not even close
them :S Wasted effort and wasted time on context switching for me and for
everyone else that will have to scroll pass or look on those PR to check their
status.

Keep in mind that I am not proposing to close the PR automatically straight on
after 3 months of inactivity. Only after asking a question whether original
contributor is still there and he is interested in the PR to be reviewed.

> for Flink 1.5, I merged a contribution from PR #1990 after it was requested a
> few times by users.

This is kind of whole point of what I was proposing. If the PR author is still
there, and can respond/bump/interrupt the closing timeout, that’s great. Gives
us even more sense of urgency to review it. On the other hand if there is no
response (no interest from the author for whatever the reasons) and nobody so
far has picked this PR to review/merge, what’s the point of keeping such PR
open? As a last resort, closing PR after timeout is not the end of the world.
It always can be reopened.

Regarding only 30% blocked on contributor. I wonder what would be this number
if we tried to ask in the rest of old PRs “Hey, are you still interested in
reviewing/merging this?”. If old PR is waiting for a reviewer for X months, it
doesn’t mean that’s not abandoned. Even if it doesn’t, reducing our overhead by
those 30% of the PRs is something.

Piotrek