Hi Addison,

I think the idea was to also backport this feature to 1.6 since we
considered it a bug that S3 was not supported in 1.6. I've pulled in Kostas
who worked on the S3 writer. @Klou did we intentionally not backport this
feature?

I think there should be nothing special about backporting this feature and
building your own version of Flink.

Cheers,
Till