Hi All,

In order to finally get the ball rolling on the new source interface that we
have discussed for so long I finally created a FLIP:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-27%3A+Refactor+Source+Interface

I cc'ed Thomas and Jamie because of the ongoing work/discussion about adding
per-partition watermark support to the Kinesis source and because this would
enable generic implementation of event-time alignment for all sources. Maybe we
need another FLIP for the event-time alignment part, especially the part about
information sharing between operations (I'm not calling it state sharing
because state has a special meaning in Flink).

Please discuss away!

Aljoscha