Hi Xingcan,

These a great points. We are on the same page regarding potential
capabilities of the proposed changes. There are actually two main parts in
the proposal, the API and the underlying service. Both parts can be
extended in the future.

We made a few design choices when draft the doc to restrict the scope of
this proposal, yet leave room for future extensions. For example, we did
not specify the interface of the underlying TableService. This is because
in the future, we may not only use it as a caching service, but also a
unified storage with functions such as stream/batch storage with indexing,
columnar/row-oriented formatting, schema awareness, etc.

Similarly, WRT API changes, right now we are just adding a cache() method,
and the cached table is only available within the session (it won't be lost
before the session exits). We found it already solves most of our concerns.
We can always add a persist(String tableId) method in the future, and let
the table be accessible globally. But this may introduce a lot of
interesting questions such as what if the table names conflict? Should
there be a session group? What should the life cycle look like for such
tables? Again, we are trying to restrict the scope and leave such questions
to future discussions.

Thanks,

Jiangjie (Becket) Qin