Hi,Piotr
Sorry  for so late to response.

First of all I think Flink runtime can assigned a thread for a StreamTask,
which likes  'Actor' model. The number of threads for a StreamTask should
not be proportional to the operator or other things. This will give Flink
the ability to scale horizontally. So I think it's not just the
network(flush),checkpoint and  source, but some operators' threads can also
be removed in the future, like AsyncWaitOperator.

for b)
When using event time, some sources want to assign a timestamp to each
element. In current Flink interface, user will write like this
public class EventTimeSource<Element> implements SourceFunction {
  public void run() {
     while(...){
         Element record = // get from file or some queue;
         long timestamp = parseTimestampFromElement(record);
         sourceContext.collectWithTimestamp(record, timestamp);
     }
  }
}
Using the interfaces from this FLIP, user can write like this

public EventTimeSplitReader<Element,X> implements SplitReader {
    Element currentRecord = null;

    // Please ignoring the handling of boundary conditions
    public boolean advace(){
       currentRecord = //move a pointer forward
       return true;
     }

    public Element getCurrent(){
       return currentRecord;
    }
    public long getCurrentTimestamp() {
      return parseTimestampFromElement(currentRecord);
    }
}

if merging the advance/getNext to a method like getNext() , the SplitReader
interface may need to change a little like this

public interface SplitReader2<T,X> {
public class ElementWithTimestamp {
    T element;
    long timestamp;
}

public ElementWithTimestamp getNext() ;

}
Now user may need implement the source like this
public EventTimeSplitReader<Element,X> implements SplitReader2 {
    Element currentRecord = null;

    // Please ignoring the handling of boundary conditions
    public ElementWithTimestamp getCurrent(){
       return new ElementWithTimestamp(currentRecord,
parseTimestampFromElement(currentRecord))
    }
}
The user can use a constant ElementWithTimestamp but I think this need the
every connector developers to know this trick. The current Flip will not
have this burden.
Maybe there has other way like '' void getCurrent(ElementWithTimestamp)"
to avoid creating a new object.  But my personal preference is
‘advance/getCurrent’.

Piotr Nowojski <pi...@data-artisans.com> 于2018年11月7日周三 下午4:31写道: