Thanks for taking a look.

Are you saying that the longer term direction is to get rid of the execute
method from StreamExecutionEnvironment and instead construct the cluster
client outside?

That would currently expose even more internals to the user. Considering
the current implementation in RemoteStreamEnvironment:

@Override
public JobExecutionResult execute(String jobName) throws
ProgramInvocationException {
StreamGraph streamGraph = getStreamGraph();
streamGraph.setJobName(jobName);
transformations.clear();
return executeRemotely(streamGraph, jarFiles);
}

We would use
env.getStreamGraph().getJobGraph().setSavepointRestoreSettings(..) in the
Beam code and then use the cluster client directly.

If we wanted to keep this hidden from users, we could add
setSavePointRestoreSettings to RemoteStreamEnvironment and
LocalStreamEnvironment and deal with it internally.

Alternatively, the remote environment could serve just as cluster client
factory.

WDYT?