Hello all,

Spark 2.4.0 was released last month. I noticed that Spark 2.4
“Add a lot of new built-in functions, including higher-order functions, to deal
with complex data types easier.”[1]
I wonder if it's necessary for Flink to add higher-order functions to enhance
it's ability.

By the way, I found that if we wants to enhance the functionality of Flink sql,
we often need to modify Calcite. It may be a little inconvenient,so may be we
can extend Calcite core parser in Flink to deal with some non-standard SQL
syntax, as mentioned in Flink SQL DDL Design[2].

Look forward to your feedback.

Best,
Wen-hui Tang

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-23899