It's true that b, c, d and e will all read from the original DAG that
generates a. But all subsequent operators (when running multiple queries)
which reference cachedTableA should not need to reproduce `a` but directly
consume the intermediate result.

Conceptually one could think of cache() as introducing a caching operator
from which you need to consume from if you want to benefit from the caching
functionality.

I agree, ideally the optimizer makes this kind of decision which
intermediate result should be cached. But especially when executing ad-hoc
queries the user might better know which results need to be cached because
Flink might not see the full DAG. In that sense, I would consider the
cache() method as a hint for the optimizer. Of course, in the future we
might add functionality which tries to automatically cache results (e.g.
caching the latest intermediate results until so and so much space is
used). But this should hopefully not contradict with `CachedTable cache()`.

Cheers,
Till