Hi Zhijiang,

Thanks for sharing the document Zhijiang.
I decided to compile my thoughts to consider here, not to overload document
comments any more :)

I think I still have question about job level configuration for the shuffle
service. You mentioned that we can keep several shuffle manager objects in one
task executor for different jobs. This is valid. My concerns are:
- how do we share shuffle manager resources among different job tasks within
one task executor process? It could be some static objects shared by all
shuffle manager objects of some type but it might be not scalable approach.
Example could be multiplexed netty connections (as I understand, current netty
stack can become just custom shuffle service).
- In case of having it per job, we might need to provide compatibility check
between shuffle service and cluster mode (e.g. yarn ext shuffle service for
standalone mode cluster) if it is an issue.
- Having it per job feels like the same complexity as having it per operator,
at the first glance, just changes its granularity and where objects reside.
- what is the problem to use cluster per job mode? Then shuffle manager per
cluster and per job is the same but might simplify other issues at the
beginning. Streaming and batch jobs with different shuffle requirements could
be started in different clusters per job.

As for ShuffleManager interface, I think I see your point with the
ResultPartitionLocation. I agree that partition needs some addressing of
underlying connection or resources in general. It can be thinked of as an
argument of ShuffleManager factory methods.

My point is that task code might not need to be coupled to shuffle interface.
This way we could keep task code more independent of records transfer layer. We
can always change later how shuffle/network service is organised internally
without any consequences for the general task code. If task code calls just
factories provided by JM, it might not even matter for the task in future
whether it is configured per cluster, job or operator. Internally, factory can
hold location of concrete type if needed.

Code example could be:

Job Manager side:

interface ShuffleManager {
  ResultPartionWriterFactory createResultPartionWriterFactory(job/task/topology
descriptors);
  // similar for input gate factory
}

class ShuffleManagerImpl implements ShuffleManager {
  private general config, services etc;
  ResultPartionWriterFactory createResultPartionWriterFactory(job/task/topology
descriptors) {
    return new ResultPartionWriterFactoryImpl(location, job, oper id, other
specific config etc);
  }
  // similar for input gate factory
}
// somewhere in higher level code put ResultPartionWriterFactory into descriptor

Task executor side receives the factory inside the descriptor and calls
factory.create(ShuffleServiceRegistry). Example of factory:

class ResultPartionWriterFactoryImpl implements ResultPartionWriterFactory {
  // all fields are lightweight and serialisable, received from JM
  private location, shuffle service id, other specific config etc;

  ResultPartionWriter create(ShuffleServiceRegistry registry, maybe more
generic args) {
    // get or create task local specific ShuffleServiceImpl by id in registry
    // ShuffleServiceImpl object can be shared between jobs
    // register with the ShuffleServiceImpl by location, id, config etc
  }
}

interface ShuffleService extends AutoClosable {
  getId();
}

ShuffleServiceImpl manages resources and decides internally whether to do it
per task executor, task, job or operator. It can contain network stack, e,g,
netty connections etc. In case of external service, it can hold partition
manager, transport client etc. It is not enforced to have it per job by this
contract or even to have it at all. ShuffleServiceImpl also does not need to
depend on all TaskManagerServices, only create relevant inside, e.g. network.

class ShuffleServiceRegistry {
  <T extends ShuffleService> T getShuffleService(id);
 registerShuffleService(ShuffleService, id);
  deregisterShuffleService(id); // remove and close ShuffleService
  close(); // close all
}

ShuffleServiceRegistry is just a generic container of all available
ShuffleService’s. It could be part of TaskManagerServices instead of
NetworkEnvironment which could go into specific ShuffleServiceImpl.

I might still miss some details, I would appreciate any feedback.

Best,
Andrey