Hi Becket!

After further thinking I tend to agree that my previous proposal (*Option 2*)
indeed might not be if would in the future introduce automatic caching. However
I would like to propose a slightly modified version of it:

*Option 4*

Adding `cache()` method with following signature:

Table Table#cache();

Without side-effects, and `cache()` call do not modify/change original Table in
any way.
It would return a copy of original table, with added hint for the optimizer to
cache the table, so that the future accesses to the returned table might be
cached or not.

Assuming that we are talking about a setup, where we do not have automatic
caching enabled (possible future extension).

Example #1:

```
Table a = …
a.foo() // not cached

val cachedTable = a.cache();

cachedA.bar() // maybe cached
a.foo() // same as before - effectively not cached
```

Both the first and the second `a.foo()` operations would behave in the exactly
same way. Again, `a.cache()` call doesn’t affect `a` itself. If `a` was not
hinted for caching before `a.cache();`, then both `a.foo()` calls wouldn’t use
cache.

Returned `cachedA` would be hinted with “cache” hint, so probably
`cachedA.bar()` would go through cache (unless optimiser decides the opposite)

Example #2

```
Table a = …

a.foo() // not cached

val b = a.cache();

a.foo() // same as before - effectively not cached
b.foo() // maybe cached

val c = b.cache();

a.foo() // same as before - effectively not cached
b.foo() // same as before - effectively maybe cached
c.foo() // maybe cached
```

Now, assuming that we have some future “automatic caching optimisation”:

Example #3

```
env.enableAutomaticCaching()
Table a = …

a.foo() // might be cached, depending if `a` was selected to automatic caching

val b = a.cache();

a.foo() // same as before - might be cached, if `a` was selected to automatic
caching
b.foo() // maybe cached
```

More or less this is the same behaviour as:

Table a = ...
val b = a.filter(x > 20)

calling `filter` hasn’t changed or altered `a` in anyway. If `a` was previously
filtered:

Table src = …
val a = src.filter(x > 20)
val b = a.filter(x > 20)

then yes, `a` and `b` will be the same. But the point is that neither `filter`
nor `cache` changes the original `a` table.

One thing is that indeed, physically dropping cache operation, will have side
effects and it will in a way mutate the cached table references. But this is I
think unavoidable in any solution - the same issue as calling `.close()`, or
calling destructor in C++.

Piotrek

> [...]
>>   that, unless user explicitly release that CacheHandle, a.foo() will always
>>   leverage cache if needed (optimizer may choose to ignore cache if that
>>   helps accelerate the process). Any function call will not be able to
>>   release the cache because they do not have that CacheHandle.
>>   - If some advanced users do not want to use cache at all, they will
>>   call a.hint(ignoreCache).foo(). This will for sure ignore cache and use the
>>   original DAG to process.
>>

>>> In vast majority of the cases, users wouldn't really care whether the
>>> cache is used or not.
>>> I wouldn’t agree with that, because “caching” (if not purely in memory
>>> caching) would add additional IO costs. It’s similar as saying that users
>>> would not see a difference between Spark/Flink and MapReduce (MapReduce
>>> writes data to disks after every map/reduce stage).
>>
>> What I wanted to say is that in most cases, after users call cache(), they
>> don't really care about whether auto optimization has decided to ignore the
>> cache or not, as long as the program runs faster.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jiangjie (Becket) Qin
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 10:50 PM Piotr Nowojski <pi...@data-artisans.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the quick answer :)
>>>
>>> Re 1.
>>>
>>> I generally agree with you, however couple of points:
>>>
>>> a) the problem with using automatic caching is bigger, because you will
>>> have to decide, how do you compare IO vs CPU costs and if you pick wrong,
>>> additional IO costs might be enormous or even can crash your system. This
>>> is more difficult problem compared to let say join reordering, where the
>>> only issue is to have good statistics that can capture correlations between
>>> columns (when you reorder joins number of IO operations do not change)
>>> c) your example is completely independent of caching.
>>>
>>> Query like this:
>>>
>>> src1.filte('f1 > 10).join(src2.filter('f2 < 30), `f1 ===`f2).as('f3,
>>> …).filter(‘f3 > 30)
>>>
>>> Should/could be optimised to empty result immediately, without the need
>>> for any cache/materialisation and that should work even without any
>>> statistics provided by the connector.
>>>
>>> For me prerequisite to any serious cost-based optimisations would be some
>>> reasonable benchmark coverage of the code (tpch?). Otherwise that would be
>>> equivalent of adding not tested code, since we wouldn’t be able to verify
>>> our assumptions, like how does the writing of 10 000 records to
>>> cache/RocksDB/Kafka/CSV file compare to joining/filtering/processing of
>>> lets say 1000 000 rows.
>>>
>>> Re 2.
>>>
>>> I wasn’t proposing to change the semantic later. I was proposing that we
>>> start now:
>>>
>>> CachedTable cachedA = a.cache()
>>> cachedA.foo() // Cache is used
>>> a.bar() // Original DAG is used
>>>
>>> And then later we can think about adding for example

>>> a.foo() // Cache might be used
>>> a.bar() // Cache might be used
>>>
>>> Or (I would still not like this option):
>>>
>>> a.hintCache()
>>> a.foo() // Cache might be used