A few updates to the thread. I uploaded a patch[1] as a complete example of
how users can use the metrics in the future.

Some thoughts below after taking a look at the AbstractMetricGroup and its
subclasses.

This patch intends to provide convenience for Flink connector
implementations to follow metrics standards proposed in FLIP-33. It also
try to enhance the metric management in general way to help users with:

   1. metric definition
   2. metric dependencies check
   3. metric validation
   4. metric control (turn on / off particular metrics)

This patch wraps MetricGroup to extend the functionality of
AbstractMetricGroup and its subclasses. The AbstractMetricGroup mainly
focus on the metric group hierarchy, but does not really manage the metrics
other than keeping them in a Map.

Ideally we should only have one entry point for the metrics.

Right now the entry point is AbstractMetricGroup. However, besides the
missing functionality mentioned above, AbstractMetricGroup seems deeply
rooted in Flink runtime. We could extract it out to flink-metrics in order
to use it for generic purpose. There will be some work, though.

Another approach is to make AbstractMetrics in this patch as the metric
entry point. It wraps metric group and provides the missing
functionalities. Then we can roll out this pattern to runtime components
gradually as well.

My first thought is that the latter approach gives a more smooth migration.
But I am also OK with doing a refactoring on the AbstractMetricGroup family.

Thanks,

Jiangjie (Becket) Qin

[1] https://github.com/becketqin/flink/pull/1