Sender:vino yangyanghua1...@gmail.com
Recipient:dev@flink.apache.org...@flink.apache.org
Date:Friday, Apr 26, 2019 16:41
Subject:Re: [DISCUSS] Improve Queryable State and introduce aQueryServerProxy
component

Hi Paul, Thanks for your reply. You are right, currently, the queryable state
has few users. And I totally agree with you, it makes the streaming works more
like a DB. About the architecture and the problem you concern: yes, it maybe
affect the JobManager if they are deployed together. I think it's important to
guarantee the JobManager's available and stability, and the QueryProxyServer is
just a secondary service component. So when describing the role of the
QueryProxyServer, I mentioned SLA policy, I think it's a solution. But the
detail may need to be discussed. About starting queryable state client with a
cmd, I think it's a good idea and valuable. Best, Vino. Paul Lam
paullin3...@gmail.com 于2019年4月26日周五 下午3:31写道:  Hi Vino,   Thanks a lot for
bringing up the discussion! Queryable state has been at  beta version for a
long time, and due to its complexity and instability I  think there are not
many users, but there’s a great value in it which makes  state as database one
step closer.   WRT the architecture, I’d vote for opt 3, because it fits the
cloud  architecture the most and avoids putting more burdens on JM (sometimes
the  queries could be slow and resources intensive). My concern is that on many
 cluster frameworks the container resources are limited (IIUC, the JM and QS
are running in the same container), would JM gets killed if QS eats up too
much memory?   And a minor suggestion: can we introduce a cmd script to setup a
 QueryableStateClient? That would be easier for users who wants to try out
this feature.   Best,  Paul Lam    在 2019年4月26日,11:09,vino yang
yanghua1...@gmail.com 写道:     Hi Quan,     Thanks for your reply.     Actually,
I did not try this way.     But, there are two factors we should consider:
 1. The local state storage is not equals to RocksDB, otherwise Flink   does
not need to provide a queryable state client. What's more,  querying   the
RocksDB is still an address-explicit action.   2. IMO, the proposal's more
valuable suggestion is to make the  queryable   state's architecture more
reasonable, let it encapsulated more details  and   improve its scalability.
 Best,   Vino         Shi Quan qua...@outlook.com 于2019年4月26日周五 上午10:38写道:
Hi,     How about take states from RocksDB directly, in this case, TM host is
unnecessary.     Best     Quan Shi     ________________________________   From:
vino yang yanghua1...@gmail.com   Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2019 10:18:20 PM
To: dev; user   Cc: Stefan Richter; Aljoscha Krettek; kklou...@gmail.com
component     Hi all,     I want to share my thought with you about improving
the queryable state   and introducing a QueryServerProxy component.     I think
the current queryable state's client is hard to use. Because it   needs users
to know the TaskManager's address and proxy's port.  Actually,   some business
users who do not have good knowledge about the Flink's  inner   or runtime in
production. However, sometimes they need to query the  values   of states.
IMO, the reason caused this problem is because of the queryable state's
architecture. Currently, the queryable state clients interact with query
state client proxy components which host on each TaskManager. This  design   is
difficult to encapsulate the point of change and exposes too much  detail   to
the user.     My personal idea is that we could introduce a really queryable
state   server, named e.g. QueryStateProxyServer which would delegate all the
query   state request and query the local registry then redirect the request to
 the   specific QueryStateClientProxy(runs on each TaskManager). The server is
the   users really want to care about. And it would make the users ignorant to
 the TaskManagers' address and proxies' port. The current
QueryStateClientProxy would become QueryStateProxyClient.     Generally
speaking, the roles of the QueryStateProxyServer list below:       * works as
all the query client's proxy to receive all the request  and   send response;
* a router to redirect the real query requests to the specific proxy   client;
 * maintain route table registry (state - TaskManager,   TaskManager-proxy
client address)   * more fine-granted control, such as cache result, ACL, TTL,
SLA(rate   limit) and so on     About the implementation, there are three opts:
    opt 1:     Let the JobManager acts as the query proxy server.     * pros:
reuse the exists JM, do not need to introduce a new process   can reduce the
complexity;   * cons: would make JM heavy burdens, depends on the query
frequency,   may impact on the stability     [Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 5.12.07
PM.png]     opt 2:     Introduce a new component which runs as a single process
and acts as  the   query proxy server:       * pros: reduce the burdens and
make the JM more stability   * cons: introduced a new component will make the
implementation more   complexity     [Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 5.14.05 PM.png]
    opt 3 (suggestion comes from Stefan Richter):     Combining the two opts,
the query server could run as a single entry   point(process) and integrate
with JobManager.     If we keep it well encapsulated, the only difference would
be how we   register new TMs with the query server in the different scenarios,
in  JM we   might have this information already, in standalone e.g. the TMs be
started   with the query server address to register. This would give the
convenience   to start QS with the JM and the flexibility for power user to
reduce  load   on their JM.     IMO, the queryable state is a very valuable
feature. It can let users   query some real-time measure results. I hope it
will get the attention  of   the community.     It is just a roughly thought.
If it is valuable to the community, I will   give a design draft.     What's
your opinion? Any feedback and comment are welcome!     Best,   Vino.