Hi again,

Zhu Zhu let me think about this more. Maybe as Paris is writing, we do not need
to block any channels at all, at least assuming credit base flow control.
Regarding what should happen with the following checkpoint is another question.
Also, should we support concurrent checkpoints and subsuming checkpoints as we
do now? Maybe not…

Paris

Re
I. 2. a) and b) - yes, this would have to be taken into an account
I. 2. c) and IV. 2. - without those, end to end checkpoint time will probably
be longer than it could be. It might affect external systems. For example
Kafka, which automatically time outs lingering transactions, and for us, the
transaction time is equal to the time between two checkpoints.

II 1. - I’m confused. To make things straight. Flink is currently snapshotting
once it receives all of the checkpoint barriers from all of the input channels
and only then it broadcasts the checkpoint barrier down the stream. And this is
correct from exactly-once perspective.

As far as I understand, your proposal based on Chandy Lamport algorithm, is
snapshotting the state of the operator on the first checkpoint barrier, which
also looks correct to me.

III. 1. As I responded to Zhu Zhu, let me think a bit more about this.

V. Yes, we still need aligned checkpoints, as they are easier for state
migration and upgrades.

Piotrek