Hi everyone,

some of you might remember the discussion I started end of March [1] about introducing a new Java DSL for Table API that is not embedded in a string.

In particular, it solves the following issues:

- No possibility of deprecating functions

- Missing documentation for users

- Missing auto-completion for users

- Need to port the ExpressionParser from Scala to Java

- Scala symbols are deprecated! A Java DSL can also enable the Scala DSL one.

Due to shift of priorities, we could not work on it in Flink 1.9 but the feedback at that time was positive and we should aim for 1.10 to simplify the API with this change.

We propose the following FLIP-55:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CfaaD3j8APJDKwzIT4YsX7QD2huKTB4xlA3vnMUFJmA/edit?usp=sharing <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CfaaD3j8APJDKwzIT4YsX7QD2huKTB4xlA3vnMUFJmA/edit#heading=h.jn04bfolpim0>

Thanks for any feedback,

Timo

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/e6f31d7fa53890b91be0991c2da64556a91ef0fc9ab3ffa889dacc23@%3Cdev.flink.apache.org%3E