What we could also add to make this a bit more generic and extensible is to
create some interfaces for reconfiguring the StreamExecutionEnvironment,
ExecutionConfig etc and let users specify a class the implements the
reconfiguration logic based on the flink configuration.

This could be executed after the default behaviour that you outlined in the
FLIP.

What do you think?

Gyula