Hi Terry,

I went over the FLIP in detail again. The FLIP mostly LGTM. A couple issues:

- since we on't plan to support catalog ddl, can you remove them from the
FLIP?
- I found there are some discrepancies in proposed database and table DDLs.
  For db ddl, the create db syntax proposes specifying k-v properties
following "WITH". However, alter db ddl comes with a keyword "DBPROPERTIES":

CREATE  DATABASE [ IF NOT EXISTS ] [ catalogName.] dataBaseName [ COMMENT
database_comment ]
 [*WITH *( name=value [, name=value]*)]

ALTER  DATABASE  [ catalogName.] dataBaseName SET *DBPROPERTIES* (
name=value [, name=value]*)

    IIUIC, are you borrowing syntax from Hive? Note that Hive's db create
ddl comes with "DBPROPERTIES" though - "CREATE (DATABASE|SCHEMA) [IF NOT
EXISTS] database_name ...  [*WITH DBPROPERTIES* (k=v, ...)];" [1]

   The same applies to table ddl. The proposed alter table ddl comes with
"SET *PROPERTIES* (...)", however, Flink's existing table create ddl since
1.9 [2] doesn't have "PROPERTIES" keyword. As opposed to Hive's syntax,
both create and alter table ddl comes with "TBLPROPERTIES" [1].

   I feel it's better to be consistent among our DDLs. One option is to
just remove the "PROPERTIES" and "DBPROPERTIES" keywords in proposed syntax.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+DDL
[2]
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-stable/dev/table/sql.html#specifying-a-ddl