Thanks Jark for bringing up this discussion, just look at the api definitions,
it seems that Flink DatasStream interval join and Table/SQL Time-windowed Join
are
not equivalent for the join conditions:

The Interval Join only supports event time columnbs comparison of the
joined streams[1]; while the Time-windowed Join allows any type columns to be
within the
equi-join part with required additional join condition that bounds the time on
both sides.

So from the limitations of the implementations, it seems that DatasStream
interval join is purely
joingng streams with times whose functionality is subset of Time-windowed Join
which boulds two streams with times first then apply more complex join
condition predicates.

I'm also inclined we should unify the terminology, but just curious, why not
choose Time-windowed Join because it's
functionality is more "complete" ?

[1]
https://github.com/apache/flink/blob/cce1cef50d993aba5060ea5ac597174525ae895e/flink-streaming-java/src/main/java/org/apache/flink/streaming/api/datastream/KeyedStream.java#L449