I suppose the downside in an HTTP ES sink is that you don't get _any_ form of high-level API from ES, and we'd have to manually build an HTTP request that matches the ES format. Of course you also lose any client-side verification that the clients did, if there is any (but I guess the API itself prevented certain errors).