On 07.04.20 08:45, Dawid Wysakowicz wrote:

@Jark I was aware of the implementation of SinkFunction, but it was a
conscious choice to not do it that way.

Personally I am against giving a default implementation to both the new
and old methods. This results in an interface that by default does
nothing or notifies the user only in the runtime, that he/she has not
implemented a method of the interface, which does not sound like a good
practice to me. Moreover I believe the method without a Collector will
still be the preferred method by many users. Plus it communicates
explicitly what is the minimal functionality required by the interface.
Nevertheless I am happy to hear other opinions.

Dawid and I discussed this before. I did the extension of the SinkFunction but by now I think it's better to do it this way, because otherwise you can implement the interface without implementing any methods.

@all I also prefer the buffering approach. Let's wait a day or two more
to see if others think differently.

I'm also in favour of buffering outside the lock.

Also, +1 to this FLIP.

Best,
Aljoscha