Hi Flink devs,

As Flink develops rapidly with more and more features added, how to ensure no
performance regression existed has become more and more important. And we would
like to create a new repo under apache project to host previous
flink-benchmarks [1] repo, which is inspired when we discuss under FLINK-16850
[2]

Some background context on flink-benchmarks, for those who are not familiar
with the project yet:

 - Current flink-benchmarks does not align with the Flink release, which lead
developers not easy to verify
   performance at specific Flink version because current flink-benchmarks
always depends on the latest interfaces.
 - Above problem could be solved well if we could ensure flink-benchmarks also
create release branch when we
   releasing Flink. However, current flink-benchmarks repo is hosted under
dataArtisans (the former name of
   ververica) project, which is not involved in Flink release manual [3]. We
propose to promote this repo under
   apache project so that release manager could have the right to release on
flink-benchmarks.
 - The reason why we not involve flink-benchmarks into the apache/flink repo is
because it heavily depends on
   JMH [4], which is under GPLv2 license.

What do you think?

Best,