Hi, everyone,

I'm working on FLINK-16605 Add max limitation to the total number of
slots[1]. In the PR, I, Gary and Xintong has a discussion[2] about the
config option of this limit.
The central question is whether the "max" should be part of the
hierarchy or part of the property itself.

It means there could be two patterns:
- max-xyz
- xyz.max

Currently, there is no clear consensus on which style is better and we
could find both patterns in the current Flink. Here, I'd like to first
sort out[3]:

Config options follow the "max-xyz" pattern:
- restart-strategy.failure-rate.max-failures-per-interval
- yarn.maximum-failed-containers
- state.backend.rocksdb.compaction.level.max-size-level-base
- cluster.registration.max-timeout
- high-availability.zookeeper.client.max-retry-attempts
- rest.client.max-content-length
- rest.retry.max-attempts
- rest.server.max-content-length
- jobstore.max-capacity
- taskmanager.registration.max-backoff
- compiler.delimited-informat.max-line-samples
- compiler.delimited-informat.min-line-samples
- compiler.delimited-informat.max-sample-len
- taskmanager.runtime.max-fan
- pipeline.max-parallelism
- execution.checkpointing.max-concurrent-checkpoint
- execution.checkpointing.min-pause

Config options follow the "xyz.max" pattern:
- taskmanager.memory.jvm-overhead.max
- taskmanager.memory.jvm-overhead.min
- taskmanager.memory.network.max
- taskmanager.memory.network.min
- taskmanager.network.request-backoff.max
- env.log.max

Config options do not follow the above two patterns:
- akka.client-socket-worker-pool.pool-size-max
- akka.client-socket-worker-pool.pool-size-min
- akka.fork-join-executor.parallelism-max
- akka.fork-join-executor.parallelism-min
- akka.server-socket-worker-pool.pool-size-max
- akka.server-socket-worker-pool.pool-size-min
- containerized.heap-cutoff-min
- blob.offload.minsize

It seems more config options follow the "max-xyz" pattern. From my
side, I do not have a strong preference. But it probably make sense to
follow one of them in Flink.
If we decide to make it a naming convention and align all config
options to it, I prefer to follow the "max-xyz" pattern to minimize
the infect to user.

Looking forward to your feedback!

[2] https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/11615#discussion_r412316648
[3] https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.10/ops/config.html