Hi Becket,

Thanks for the comments.

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 9:12 AM Becket Qin <becket....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Xuannan,
>
> Thanks for picking up the FLIP. It looks good to me overall. Some quick
> comments / questions below:
>
> 1. Do we also need changes in the Java API?

Yes, the public interface of Table and TableEnvironment should be made in
the Java API.

> 2. What are the cases that users may want to retry reading the intermediate
> result? It seems that once the intermediate result has gone, it will not be
> available later without being generated again, right?

 I am not entirely sure if I understand the cases you mentioned. The users
can use the cached table object returned by the .cache() method in other
job and it should read the intermediate result. The intermediate result can
gone in the following three cases: 1. the user explicitly call the
invalidateCache() method 2. the TableEnvironment is closed 3. failure
happens on the TM. When that happens, the intermeidate result will not be
available unless it is re-generated.

3. In the "semantic of cache() method" section, the description "The
> semantic of the *cache() *method is a little different depending on whether
> auto caching is enabled or not." seems not explained.

This line is actually outdated and should be removed, as we are not adding
the auto caching functionality in this FLIP. Auto caching will be added in
the future, and the semantic of cache() when auto caching is enabled will
be discussed in detail by a new FLIP. I will remove the descriptor to avoid
further confusion.