Hi Jungtaek,

Kurt has said what I want to say. I will add some background.
Flink Table API & SQL only supports to define processing-time attribute and
event-time attribute (watermark) on source, not support to define a new one
in query.
The time attributes will pass through the query and time-based operations
can only apply on the time attributes.

The reason why Flink Table & SQL only supports to define watermark on
source is that this can allow us to do per-partition watermark, source idle
and simplify things.
There are also some discussion about "disable arbitrary watermark assigners
in the middle of a pipeline in DataStream" in this JIRA issue comments.

Best,
Jark

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-11286