Currently, processes started in the foreground (like in the case of Docker) output all logging/stdout directly to the console, without creating any logging files.

The downside of this approach, as outlined in FLIP-111, is that the WebUI is not able to display the logs since it relies on these very files to exist.

In FLINK-17166 (part of FLIP-111) we are trying to change this such that we always created .log/.out files. It seems like a reasonable change to do, but it could have repercussions on existing deployments since we will naturally use more disk space (logs gotta go somewhere).

I'm curious what people think about this.