The discussion on dropping the ES5 connector was not conclusive, when we
discussed it in February 2020. We wanted to revisit it for the 1.12 release.

>From maven central, we have the following download numbers
ES2: 500 downloads
ES5: 10500 downloads (the es5_2.10:1.3.1 had 8000 downloads last month. I
there's a CI system or something downloading all these)
ES6: 4200 downloads
ES7: 1800 downloads

For 1.10.0 we had the following numbers:
ES5: 500
ES6: 525
ES7: 840

Based on these numbers, I would advise against removing the ES5 connector
for the 1.12 release.