Hi Seth

Thanks for bringing this discussion, and I really like this refactor to give
more cleaner concepts!

When we talk about the relationship between state, state backends, and
snapshots. The 'CheckpointStorage'
only focus on how to persist the checkpointed state (to JM or to DFS), there
still exist some concepts related to the
implementation of state backend, e.g. the configuration of
'state.backend.incremental' and 'state.backend.async'.

What do you think of these configurations? They're still related with
checkpointing but limits to the feature of state backend.

Moreover, when talk about separating state backend from checkpointing, I also
want to give another two cents here:
state backend which holds the state is must-to-have when we use state in
streaming job, however, checkpointing is not a must-to-have
if we do not enable the checkpointing. And 'ExecutionGraph' could live without
checkpointCoordinator on JM side while
'StreamTask' always initialize the 'checkpointStorage' on task side. I think JM
knows the inner relationship between state backend and checkpoint
while TM seems mix them together.

Best
Yun Tang