Hi, devs & users

As discussed in FLIP-131[1], Flink will deprecate the DataSet API in favor
of DataStream API and Table API. Users should be able to use DataStream API
to write jobs that support both bounded and unbounded execution modes.
However, Flink does not provide a sink API to guarantee the Exactly-once
semantics in both bounded and unbounded scenarios, which blocks the
unification.

So we want to introduce a new unified sink API which could let the user
develop the sink once and run it everywhere. You could find more details in
FLIP-143[2].

The FLIP contains some open questions that I'd really appreciate inputs
from the community. Some of the open questions include:

   1. We provide two alternative Sink API in the FLIP. The only difference
   between the two versions is how to expose the state to the user. We want to
   know which one is your preference?
   2. How does the sink API support to write to the Hive?
   3. Is the sink an operator or a topology?

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=158866741
[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-143%3A+Unified+Sink+API