Hi everyone,

Timo just raised a good point in the vote thread. I copied the feedback
here:

> Timo:
  1) I think we should not offer 2 different kinds of syntax that do the
  same thing. We should deprecate the old syntax.
  2) We should have session windows in the new syntax as well to give users
  a complete migration path.
  3) We should investigate if we can remove the additional `FROM
  TABLE(...)` syntax. As far as I see it in other examples from Oracle
  18c, the additional `TABLE()` syntax is not necessary anymore for
  polymorphic table functions.

Here are my comments:
1) I'm not sure about this. If we are going to drop the old syntax, this
will break lots of existing SQL jobs.
Upgrading SQL jobs is not as easy as Table API jobs, We should be as
cautious as possible for this.

Besides, if we want to deprecate old syntax, we must provide equal
functionality first,
and the new syntax doesn't support propagate time attributes. A possible
solution can be to
generate one more column "window_time" for window TVFs. The value of
"window_time" would
always be "window_end - 1" and has the time attribute type. Users can
propagate the time attribute by
adding "window_time" to the "group by" and "join on" clauses with the
"window_start", "window_end" together.

2) I will add session window syntax to the FLIP later.

3) I like the simplified syntax "FROM tumble(input, rowtime, interval '1'
minute)".
However, the polymorphic table function syntax introduced in SQL standard
2016 [1] requires
the TABLE() and DESCRIPTOR() syntax (see Chapter-8 “Invocation”).
Therefore, I think it's safe to support the standard syntax first, and can
explore whether we can
 extend the syntax to make TABLE() and DESCRIPTOR()  keywords optional.
Note that, Calcite parser currently doesn't support the simplified syntax,
and this definitely needs
to be discussed in the Calcite community. Actually, there has been a
discussion about this [2], and Julian said:

> Standard SQL doesn’t allow functions in the FROM clause. I think it’s
because tables and functions are in
 different namespaces (and therefore there could be a table and a function
with the same name).
So you need to use the TABLE keyword to indicate that you are using a
function as a table.

Best,
Jark

[1]: