Hi Till,

1) Who from the Flink community will mentor this effort and could take
> responsibility for it?

I'd be happy to mentor the transition. It remains to be seen who is doing
mainly the maintenance in the long run. If all fails, I can also take that
over but I was hoping that the respective connector authors would also
become Flink contributors/committers in the long run.

2) How can Pulsar be tested together with Flink (is there a Pulsar mini
>> cluster for IT tests)?
>>

> We use testcontainer for running a Pulsar standalone cluster to do the
> integration tests. If it is not suitable for Flink project, we are happy to
> adopt any technologies the Flink community prefers.

We currently try to establish testcontainers for some external systems, so
this sounds perfect to me.

3) Which Pulsar versions will/can be supported?

> Pulsar has a pretty good backward compatibility between versions. In our
> experience, people have been running the connector with Pulsar clusters
> from 2.5.x to 2.7.x in production.

I must admit that I didn't think too much about versions yet. Pulsar has a
fast development pace, so I'm assuming that we also need to cut support for
older versions rather quickly. We should avoid supporting several major
versions like we do with other connectors. Maybe we can phase out old
versions into flink-packages.org?

If the Pulsar community is willing to help with some of these tasks, then
> this should be much easier but we need buy in from someone in the Flink
> community to help with this effort.

I hope that Sijie and I addressed your concerns.

Best,

Arvid

--

Arvid Heise | Senior Java Developer

<https://www.ververica.com/>

Follow us @VervericaData

Conference

Ververica GmbH
Managing Directors: Timothy Alexander Steinert, Yip Park Tung Jason, Ji
(Toni) Cheng