Thanks Timo for opening this discussion.

+1 I like the idea of adding a deprecation deadline and/or information when
the
functionality was deprecated. It looks like this is already done in the
PyFlink code.

Creating a JIRA issue for removing the functionality, as Till suggested,
might help to
maintain this process of removing the deprecated functionality. I'd prefer
that over
relying on the release manager (assuming that he/she would run the check as
part
of the release process) to identify functionality that should have been
removed as
part of the release. But ok, that might be a team decision.

For the connectors: Can't we assume that users would reach out to us if we
deprecate
a connector assuming that they can conclude that this connector will,
otherwise, disappear.
Maybe, that needs to be mentioned in the deprecation information as well,
then.
This would have the benefit of getting direct feedback about how much a
connector is still in
use and may open the doors for other contributors to offer help like it
happened for the
Mesos support [1].

And about the idea of adding such deadlines to @Public, @PublicEvolving,
and @Experimental:
Is it actually possible to have a fixed timeframe for these annotations to
change? I would
imagine that it depends on the underlying feature how long an API
is @PublicEvolving or
@Experimental? But it sounds still like a good idea to trigger warnings for
those annotations
in case they haven't been touched for a while. Therefore, I would second
this suggestion.

Best,
Matthias

[1]