If I understand you correctly Chesnay, then you want to decouple the
resource requirement specification from the slot sharing group assignment.
Hence, per default all operators would be in the same slot sharing group.
If there is no operator with a resource specification, then the system
would allocate a default slot for it. If there is at least one operator,
then the system would sum up all the specified resources and allocate a
slot of this size. This effectively means that all unspecified operators
will implicitly have a zero resource requirement. Did I understand your
idea correctly?

I am wondering whether this wouldn't lead to a surprising behaviour for the
user. If the user specifies the resource requirements for a single
operator, then he probably will assume that the other operators will get
the default share of resources and not nothing.

Cheers,
Till