Thanks for the explanation Yun and Guowei. I have to admit that I do not
fully understand why this is strictly required but I think that we are
touching two very important aspects which might have far fetching
consequences for how Flink works:

1) Do we want to allow that multiple checkpoints are required to
materialize results?
2) Do we want to allow to emit records in notifyCheckpointComplete?

For 1) I am not sure whether this has been discussed within the community
sufficiently. Requiring multiple checkpoints to materialize a result
because of multi level committers has the consequence that we increase the
latency from checkpoint interval to #levels * checkpoint interval.
Moreover, having to drain the pipeline in multiple steps, would break the
stop-with-savepoint --drain because which savepoint do you report to the
user?

For 2) allowing to send records after the final notifyCheckpointComplete
will effectively mean that we need to shut down a topology in multiple
steps (in the worst case one operator per checkpoint). This would be a
strong argument for not allowing this to me. The fact that users can send
records after the notifyCheckpointComplete is more by accident than by
design. I think we should make this a very deliberate decision and in doubt
I would be in favour of a more restrictive model unless there is a very
good reason why this should be supported.

Taking also the discussion in FLINK-21133 [1] into account, it seems to me
that we haven't really understood what kind of guarantees we want to give
to our users and how the final checkpoint should exactly work. I understand
that this is not included in the first scope of FLIP-147 but I think this
is so important that we should figure this out asap. Also because the exact
shut down behaviour will have to be aligned with the lifecycle of a
Task/StreamTask/StreamOperator. And last but not least because other
features such as the new sink API start building upon a shut down model
which has not been fully understood/agreed upon.

Till