I agree that we shouldn't discourage contributions.

For me the main idea of the bot is not to clean up the JIRA but to improve
our communication and expectation management with the community. There are
many things we could do but for a lot of things we don't have the time and
capacity. Then to say at some point that we won't do something is just
being honest. This also shows when looking at the JIRA numbers of the
merged commits. We very rarely resolve tickets which are older than x days
and if we do, then we usually create a new ticket for the problem.

The fact that we see some tickets with available pull requests go stale is
the symptom that we don't value them to be important enough or
allocate enough time for external contributions imo. Otherwise, they would
have gotten the required attention and been merged. In such a case, raising
awareness by pinging the watchers of the respective ticket is probably
better than silently ignoring the PR. Also adding labels to filter for
these PRs should help to get them the required attention. But also here, it
happens very rarely that we actually merge a PR that is older than y days.
Ideally we avoid this situation altogether by only assigning contributors
to tickets for which a committer has review capacity. However, this does
not seem to always work.

In some sense, the JIRA bot shows us the things, which fall through the
cracks, more explicitly (which is probably not different than before). Of
course we should try to find the time periods for when to ping or
de-prioritize tickets that work best for the community.

+1 for the proposed changes (extended time periods, "Not a Priority",
default priority and fixVersion).

@Piotr, I think we have the priorities defined here [1]. Maybe it is enough
to share the link so that everyone can check whether her assumptions are
correct.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Flink+Jira+Process

Cheers,
Till