Hi Till,

Sorry that I do not see the reply when sending the last mail, I think as a
whole we are on the same page for the
1. For normal stop-with-savepoint, we do not call finish() and do not emit
MAX_WATERMARK
2. For normal finish / stop-with-savepoint --drain, we would call finish() and
emit MAX_WATERMARK

> But then there is the question, how do we signal the operator that the next
> checkpoint is supposed to stop the operator
> (how will the operator's lifecycle look in this case)? Maybe we simply don't
> tell the operator and handle this situation on the
> StreamTask level.

Logically I think in this case UDF seems do not need to know the next
checkpoint is supposed to stop the operator since the final
checkpoint in this case have no difference with the ordinary checkpoints.

> So I guess the question is will finish() advance the time to the end or is
> this a separate mechanism (e.g. explicit watermarks).

I tend to have an explicit MAX_WATERMARK since it makes watermark processing to
be unified with normal cases and make the meanings of
each event explicit. But this might be a private preference and both methods
would work.

Very sorry for not making the whole thing clear in the FLIP again, if there are
no other concerns I'll update the FLIP with the above conclusions
to make it precise in this part.

Best,
Yun