Hi Becket,

I still can't follow your view on the metric being a global variable or
your concern that it is confusing to users. Nevertheless, I like your
proposal with having an additional collect method.

I was thinking that
> SourceOutput is going to have an additional method of collect(T Record,
> Long timestamp, Long fetchTime). So people can just pass in the fetch time
> directly when they emit a record, regardless of using SourceReaderBase or
> not.

Can we think of other use cases for the fetchTime parameter beyond metrics
in the future? If so, it would make an even stronger case.

I'll update the PR with your proposals.

Best,

Arvid