This sounds like an interesting effort.

The draft you have opened uses ArchUnit; can you explain a bit what the capabilities/limitations of said tool are?

One thing we wanted to have for a long time is that methods/classes annotated with @VisibleForTesting are not called from production code; would that be something that could be implemented?

It's not a problem imo that tests need to run in order to catch stuff; so long as it is noticed on CI.