Hi all,

As people have already started working on their 1.15.
contribution, we'd like to start the discussion for
the release setup.

- Release managers: As a team of three seems to have
worked perfectly fine, we'd like to suggest Till, Yun Gao
& Joe as the release managers for 1.15.

- Timeline: 1.14 was released at the end of September and
aiming for a 4 months release cycle including one months
of stabilisation would lead to a feature freeze date at the
end of December, which would make the European holiday
season a bit stressful. One option would have been to aim for early
December, but we decided to go for the 17th of January.
Such that we also have some buffer before the Chinese new
year.

- Bi-weekly sync: We'd also like to setup a bi-weekly sync again
starting from the 9th of November at 9am CET/4pm CST.

- Collecting features: As last time it would be helpful to have
a rough overview of the efforts that will likely be included in
this release. We have created a wiki page [1] for collecting such
information. We'd like to kindly ask all committers to fill in the
page with features that they intend to work on.

Just copy pasting what we included into the planning email
for 1.14, because it still applies:

- Stability of master: This has been an issue during the 1.13 & 1.14
feature freeze phase and it is still going on. We encourage every
committer to not merge PRs through the Github button, but do this
manually, with caution for the commits merged after the CI being
triggered. It would be appreciated to always build the project before
merging to master.

- Documentation: Please try to see documentation as an integrated
part of the engineering process and don't push it to the feature
freeze phase or even after. You might even think about going
documentation first. We, as the Flink community, are adding great
stuff, that is pushing the limits of streaming data processors, with
every release. We should also make this stuff usable for our users by
documenting it well.

- Promotion of 1.15: What applies to documentation also applies
to all the activity around the release. We encourage every contributor
to also think about, plan and prepare activities like blog posts and talk,
that will promote and spread the release once it is done.

Please let us know what you think.

Thank you~
Till, Yun Gao & Joe

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/1.15+Release