> NULL in SQL essentially means "UNKNOWN", it's not as scary as a null in
java which will easily cause a NPE or some random behavior with a c++
function call.

This is true from the user point of view, except our runtime doesn't treat
null as some value where you can safely execute operations and get "noop"
results. In our runtime null is Java's null, hence causing issues and
generating NPEs here and there when nulls are not expected.

> It will really create a big mess after users upgrade their SQL jobs

This is what I don't really understand here: how adding a configuration
option causes issues here? We make it very clear in our release notes that
you need to switch that flag if you're relying on this behavior and that's
it: if you reprocess jobs every time you upgrade, you just flip the switch
before reprocessing and you won't have any issues. If you don't because you
use the hybrid source, either you upgrade your query or you flip the flag
and in both cases this shouldn't generate any issue.
Since it's a big change, I also expect to keep this flag for some releases,
at least up to Flink 2.