> Just to learn something new. I think local recovery is clear to me which is not touching external systems like Kafka or so (correct me if I'm wrong). Is it possible that such case the user code just starts to run blindly w/o JM coordination and connects to external systems to do data processing?

Local recovery itself shouldn't touch external systems; the TM cannot just run user-code without the JobMaster being involved, but it can happen that the JobMaster+TM collaborate to run stuff without the TM being registered at the RM.

On 03/02/2022 13:48, Gabor Somogyi wrote:
> Any error in loading the provider (be it by accident or explicit checks) then is a setup error and we can fail the cluster.

Fail fast is a good direction in my view. In Spark I wanted to go to this direction but there were other opinions so there if a provider is not loaded then the workload goes further.
Of course the processing will fail if the token is missing...

> Requiring HBase (and Hadoop for that matter) to be on the JM system classpath would be a bit unfortunate. Have you considered loading the providers as plugins?

Even if it's unfortunate the actual implementation is depending on that already. Moving HBase and/or all token providers into plugins is a possibility. That way if one wants to use a specific provider then a plugin need to be added. If we would like to go to this direction I would do that in a separate FLIP not to have feature creep here. The actual FLIP already covers several thousand lines of code changes.

> This is missing from the FLIP. From my experience with the metric reporters, having the implementation rely on the configuration is really annoying for testing purposes. That's why I suggested factories; they can take care of extracting all parameters that the implementation needs, and then pass them nicely via the constructor.

ServiceLoader provided services must have a norarg constructor where no parameters can be passed. As a side note testing delegation token providers is pain in the ass and not possible with automated tests without creating a fully featured kerberos cluster with KDC, HDFS, HBase, Kafka, etc.. We've had several tries in Spark but then gave it up because of the complexity and the flakyness of it so I wouldn't care much about unit testing. The sad truth is that most of the token providers can be tested manually on cluster.

Of course this doesn't mean that the whole code is not intended to be covered with tests. I mean couple of parts can be automatically tested but providers are not such.

> This also implies that any fields of the provider wouldn't inherently have to be mutable.

I think this is not an issue. A provider connects to a service, obtains token(s) and then close the connection and never seen the need of an intermediate state.
I've just mentioned the singleton behavior to be clear.