Hi Alexander,

It is beneficial for users to be able to replace/choose a connector as
part of their application. When flink-connector-base is included in
dist, that becomes more difficult. We can run into hard to understand
dependency conflicts such as [1]. Depending on the Flink platform
used, it may also be hard to update something that is part of dist. I
would prefer to keep the module outside dist.

Thanks,
Thomas

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/0ht5y2tyzpt16ft36zm428182dxfs3zx