Hi everyone,

in the scope of work on externalizing connectors [1] it became evident that
we need to add the process of releasing SNAPSHOT (nightly) Docker images
for Flink. Let me briefly explain why this is the case:
- currently, our container-based E2E tests rely on building Flink Docker
images on-the-flight from flink-dist [2]
- this works fine as long as there is a full Flink dist available (when
working on a non-externalized connector, developed against the current
Flink master)
- when the connector is developed in a separate repository, flink-dist is,
obviously, not directly available
- the base image for such E2E tests has to be in-sync with the master branch

My understanding is that there are some potential hurdles in the Apache
process in terms of publishing binary "releases" in an automated way. That
said, there are other Apache projects that established such pipelines for
the purposes of development and CI, for instance, Apache Airflow uses
GHCR.IO [3]. I have two main questions:
1) What is your opinion on us following the same/similar path?
2) What is the procedure from the INFRA perspective to get this
approved/set up?

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/bywh947r2f5hfocxq598zhyh06zhksrm
[2]
https://github.com/apache/flink/blob/96c2500739bc5d0a0503a165daaf7549a7b6a84c/flink-end-to-end-tests/flink-end-to-end-tests-common/src/main/java/org/apache/flink/tests/util/flink/container/FlinkImageBuilder.java#L210
[3]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Github+Actions+to+DockerHub

Thanks,
Alexander Fedulov